Laughter is the best medicine. You have heard that before, but it can be true. Have you ever had a horrible day? Like a stinky, drama-ridden, every-thing-goes-wrong kind of day? Then you come home and one of your kids makes you laugh? The longer you crack up the more stress leaves your body. Laughter can turn a day around.
One of the best ways to laugh is to watch a comedy. Thankfully, Netflix is full of them. Netflix carries some of your old favorite comedic movies but also new Netflix films as well. The hard part is deciding which movie to switch on.
Read on for the top nine funniest movies on Netflix right now.
1. Hot Fuzz is a great movie, but it is not for the faint of heart. It contains a lot of dry, black humor, and it can take you by surprise.
Released in 2007, it stars Simon Pegg and Nick Frost as small-town cops who have to deal with a slew of “accidents” plaguing their town. Love British humor? Dark comedy? Action flicks? This movie is for you.
2. Thor: Ragnarok is not just a Marvel movie. It is the funniest Marvel movie yet, and quite possibly the best-written one.
Chock full of humor from start to finish, this film will have you laughing all the way through.
It still has plenty of intense action scenes and, of course, Thor – who doesn’t love Chris Hemsworth? The plot is good, the acting is superb and its comedic value can’t be beaten.
3. Meet the Parents is an oldie but a goodie. This funny film starring Ben Stiller and Robert DiNero came out in 2000 and no matter how many times you see it you will crack up. If you have not yet seen Robert DiNero in a comedy role, then you are missing out. His wit and timing are impeccable and the storyline is one that anyone can relate to. Owen Wilson as the ex-boyfriend is just the icing on the cake.
4. Goon came out in 2011 and was quite possibly one of the most underrated movies of the time. Sean Williams Scott (yes, Stiffler from American Pie) is an amazing actor.
In this film, he plays a hockey player and his acting skills are impressive. You can’t help but root for him. As much as this film offers adult humor, it also offers a surprising amount of feel-good feelings. This movie is not one you just watch once.
5. Burn After Reading is worth watching if not only to see Brad Pitt act like a total idiot. He is hysterical. Just seeing his face is enough to crack you up.
The movie follows personal trainer Chip, who is a pep squad in a grown man’s body. He comes across some CIA papers and decides to blackmail the CIA.
Not the best idea and mayhem ensues. A movie 100 percent worth watching.
6. The Week Of stars Adam Sandler and Chris Rock. For many people, that is all you need to hear to know it will be hilarious. The two comedic geniuses star as parents of the wedding couple in this Netflix original. Stuck in a small house together for a week? What could possibly go wrong?
7. Cats and Dogs is a family film that even adults love. It takes you into the little-known world of the centuries-long feud between cats and dogs.
Dogs are protecting humans and cats are simply trying to take over the world. You will never look at the phrase “is the game afoot?” quite the same again.
8. Ella Enchanted is another great family film. It stars Anne Hathaway as a girl cursed with the “gift of obedience.” She has two evil stepsisters and is being wooed by the fair Prince Charmont.
This film’s rare blend of adult-oriented humor that also works for kids is part of what makes it magical. Its music seals the deal.
From an elf is who wants to be a lawyer to a fairy who can’t quite work magic, this film has many funny elements worth watching.
9. How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days is one of the best romantic comedies of all time. Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey produce comedy genius when paired.
She is trying to get him to dump her to win a bet. Unfortunately, he made a bet too, not to break up with her no matter what.
So, cue up your Netflix, pop some popcorn, sit back and relax. Can you decide which movie to watch first?